Sree Venkatachalapathy Temple, North Parur
This temple has its origin traced to the end of 17th century. However, the temple in the present form has been established in 1888 AD.
DEITIES and Sub-temples
The main deity made of Panchaloha is Venkatachalapathy with Mahalakshmi on left side and Bhoomidevi on the right. There is a Ganapati pradishta outside the srikovil at the South-West corner of the temple or Nalambalam.
The temple has a disturbed history with many unfortunate events. In the fourth quarter of the 17th century AD, few GSB families approached the Parur Thampuran for permission to settle down in Parur. They were allowed to settle down in the western part of the town known as Kannan Parambu. The Venkateswara idol and the Kuladevata of Rama Vadyar (a purohit family),was installed in a small temple build in the land owned by him. However, the temple affairs were carried on with the co-operation of the whole community known as Dha or Dhayi Jan(meaning Ten people). This conveys that there would have been ten families who had originally settled in Parur. In 1790 AD during Tippu Sultan's military campaign or the Padayottam, to escape from the looting, the GSB families of parur fled to Cochin and Vypeen carrying their valuables. Timmappa Vadyar, son of Rama Vadyar carried the temple deities and Salagrama to Cochin via Chathanad and handed over the deities to Cochin Tirumala Devaswom for safe custody. After four years many of these families returned back to Parur. The temple was repaired using bamboo and palm leaves and the Salagrama and idol of Ganapati was installed there.
In 1808 AD the revenue authorities demanded land tax which was in arrears and Timmappa Vadyar was unable to pay it. At his request, the Samaj paid the taxes when he agreed to transfer the possession rights to Dhayi Jan. Later the samaj approached Parur Thampuran for financial help and the temple was renovated in 1813 AD with his help. But due to the in-fights among the members, funds could not be collected for the maintenance and temple affairs. In 1815, Timmappa Vadyar expired and his children continued as purohits. In 1829 AD his younger son Abbayya Vadyar was initiated into sanyasa and the elder son expired in 1831. After that purohits no were left in Parur. The Samaj then approached the Varapuzha temple for help. Sri Bhattu Vadyar was deputed for pooja at Parur. But within a year, dissatisfied with the state of affairs of the temple, he locked the temple and left Parur throwing the temple key in the tank. The samaj decided to hand over the Salagram to Cochin Devaswom to be kept with the deities given earlier. Since the deities of Cochin temple were by that time shifted to Alleppey, the Samaj approached the Authorities of Alleppey temple to accept the Salagrama. But they refused to accept this proposal without proper financial arrangements to meet expenses for its daily pooja. The Samaj pledged a land at North Parur for this purpose and also arranged the fifth Ahass during annual festival to be on its behalf. This arrangement continued till 1852 at Alleppey and till 1868 at Cochin (after the deity was brought back to Cochin). Due to differences among the trustees of Dhayi Jan, the Ahass was discontinued after 1868 AD.
In 1872 AD the Dhayi Jan representatives approached Srimath Bhuvanendra Tirtha Swamiji at Cochin and requested him to interfere. The differences were resolved and Swamiji nominated a committee of 8 persons to look after the properties and the affairs of the Samaj. The Ahass at Cochin also was re-started. The Ahass, however, could not be conducted in 1875 partly due to price escalation and partly due to mismanagement of funds. In 1882 Swamiji urged the samaj to start construction of the temple at Nort Parur and the foundation stone was laid in 1886. The construction was completed and the Pratishta was done in 1888 AD. Since then Dhayi Jan was known as Devaswom. Funds was raised by the trustees through Chit fund and constructed
Parswa mandap, Agrasala on north side and Gopurams on East and West sides.
In 1905 AD, there was a theft in the temple and the Utsav idol and Salagrama were lost. A new Utsav vigraha was brought from Cochin Devaswom, a new Lakshmi vigraha was created and re-installed in the same year.
During the first world war (1915 - 1925), the prices shot up and there was big strain on the finances of the temple. The matured Chits could not be paid and many creditors obtained decrees from the court in their favor and 16 plots of land were auctioned to payoff the debt. The Devaswom became virtually bankrupt. Later the Devaswom was re-constituted and new trustees were elected. Well wishers started a new chit fund (Kachavada Fund) and in 1951 handed over 12 acres of paddy fields and 1.85 acres of coconut groves to the temple by an endowment deed. The financial position of the Devaswom was further strengthened by a new chit fund (Saraswat Fund) who donated jewels and vessels to the temple and also renovated the Srikovil. The Puna-prathista was done in 1953 AD. The Devaswom also contructed two shopping complexes near the temple.
Address: Sree Venkatachalapathy Temple, North Paravoor, Ernakulam, Kerala, India. PIN - 683 513.